PGP Corporation launches new mobile data protection and security solutions
Encryption Applications Enable Enterprises to Extend Corporate-Wide Data Security Policies
PGP Corporation announced two new mobile security encryption solutions, PGP Portable and PGP Mobile 9.10, designed to address the critical challenges facing organizations that share portable data and secure email on smartphones. An extension of the award-winning PGP Encryption Platform, PGP Portable is a new data protection solution that provides self-contained encryption on any removable storage device or optical media, including USB sticks, CDs and DVDs. In addition to data encryption, PGP Mobile 9.10 now includes encryption for email and email attachments (both stored and in transit) on Windows Mobile smartphones, extending PGP Corporation’s multi-platform support. Furthermore, PGP Corporation is also rolling out new enhanced support programs to meet the changing needs of its customers.
According to the recently published annual 2009 U.S. Encryption Trends Report by The Ponemon Institute, 59 percent of respondents said that it is very important/critical to encrypt mobile devices and 26 percent indicated they encrypt a smartphone or PDA most of the time, but 51 percent said they never do.
“Corporations are increasingly reliant on mobile technology as their primary platform. Mobile platforms of choice are driven by employees who are bringing in their own devices that IT departments need to support,” said Michael Osterman, president and founder of Osterman Research. “This is driving increasing concerns around mobile security and organizations now need a solution that provides email and data protection across a diverse set of platforms, which PGP Corporation offers.”
PGP Portable – Protect Data On Any Media
PGP Portable enables users to share encrypted data regardless of their operating system and without requiring them to install additional software or have special machine privileges. Based on the evolution of PGP Corporation’s patented virtual disk technology that is market proven, trusted and FIPS 140-2-validated, key features and benefits of PGP Portable include:
- One-click encryption: PGP Portable converts removable devices and media into containers of encrypted data with a single click.
- Access and modify encrypted data without installing software: When authorized users plug in a USB drive or CD/DVD secured with PGP Portable, they are prompted for a passphrase. Once authenticated, the user can access and modify data on these devices securely and the data remains encrypted on these devices. Users can share encrypted data with others that do not have PGP software on their system.
- Native operating system user experience: Users access PGP Portable removable drives and media using the standard Windows or Mac OS X operating system file managers.
- Extends data protection: PGP Portable is easily added to PGP Corporation’s centrally managed full disk encryption, network file sharing and desktop email protection applications.
“Corporations are becoming increasingly concerned with data breaches occurring from the loss of their employees’ mobile devices,” said Michael Disaboto, vice president and service director at the Burton Group. “Security offerings such as PGP Portable can provide protection for data at rest on a wide variety of devices.”
PGP Mobile – Smartphone Data Security Made Easy
PGP Mobile 9.10 for Windows Mobile now provides comprehensive email and data encryption for Windows Mobile 6.0 and Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional Edition smartphones and storage cards for information that is stored, in transit or shared.
Key benefits and features include:
- Automatic Email Encryption and Protection: Send and receive encrypted emails and attachments directly with Windows Mobile smartphones.
- Easy Set-up and Deployment: Automatic protection of email and file data with few changes to the user experience; reduce administrator set-up time and speed deployment with over-the-air deployment and integrated provisioning.
- Enforced Security Policies: Centralized deployment and management of policies, users and keys using PGP Universal(TM) Server that is easy to complement using PGP Desktop Email for complete, end-to-end email encryption. Integrates with Windows Domain Authentication and Active Directory to control provisioning and key management.
- Comprehensive Data Protection Self-Decrypting Archives enable information sharing with recipients who lack encryption software. PGP Mobile also includes PGP Virtual Disk, PGP Zip and PGP Shredder.
“People are the new corporate perimeter – whether they are employees, suppliers, partners or consultants – carrying sensitive data on mobile storages devices and smartphones that can be easily lost or stolen,” said Phillip Dunkelberger, president and CEO at PGP Corporation. “If the email and data is not protected on these devices, organizations face a huge risk in data breaches and failure to meet compliance. With PGP Portable and PGP Mobile 9.10, PGP Corporation is helping businesses manage the risk involved with today’s ever present mobile technology.”
New Enhanced Support Programs
To help customers worldwide maintain business continuity, PGP Corporation offers four support program options – PGP Bronze, PGP Silver, PGP Gold and PGP Platinum. PGP Bronze Support is best suited for small businesses and individual customers who don’t require round-the-clock Enterprise Support. PGP Silver, PGP Gold and PGP Platinum levels of support are targeted at enterprise customers who generally utilize PGP Universal(TM) Server to manage client policy. All levels of support provide customers with full access to the PGP Support site, including the PGP KnowledgeBase, FAQ and Tutorials, and the PGP Community Forum.
Pricing and Availability
PGP Portable and PGP Mobile 9.10 are both available today from PGP Corporation and its worldwide channel partners. Pricing for PGP Portable begins at $21 USD and pricing for PGP Mobile 9.10 begins at $105 USD. For more details on PGP Bronze. PGP Silver, PGP Gold and PGP Platinum Support Programs, please contact a PGP sales representative or channel partner.